Thursday, October 8, 2009

Stupid Things I've Heard & What I Think When I Hear Them

Take inventory of your language and avoid phrases which can make listeners (customers) defensive or make you sound uncertain; lacking confidence, weak, stupid and even a bit manipulative in some instances.

Here are some of the more common stupid things I hear sales professionals say over the phone and in face-to-face sales conversations and what I think when I hear them.

What I've Heard: "I guess I’ll let you get back to your work"
What I Think:"Quit guessing, I've already gone back."

What I've Heard: "I don’t want to take anymore of your time."
What I Think: “Then don’t, you little thief!”

What I've Heard: "I'm sure it’s time for you to get back to business."

What I Think: “You are sooo perceptive!”

What I've Heard: "I hope this is what you are looking for."
What I Think: “Hope is a good thing!”

What I've Heard: "Would it be convenient for you if I took a few moments of your time?"
What I Think: “Nope, I only have so many heartbeats allocated to me in this life!"

What I've Heard: "I just wanted to give you a call today to see if you'd be interested in...."
What I Think: “That's nice to know."

What I've Heard: "I was recently assigned your file and..."
What I Think: “Now that makes me feel special!”

What I've Heard: "If I could show you how you could save money,you'd want to hear more, wouldn't you?“

What I Think: "Just back me into a corner, why don't you."

What I've Heard: "Could I have a few moments of your time?"

What I Think: “Nope!”

What I've Heard: "Sorry to bother you, but…”

What I Think: “Apology accepted. Good bye!”

What I've Heard: "Is this a bad time?"

What I Think: “Now that you mention it, yes it is! "

What I've Heard: "I was wondering if you might be interested in..."

What I Think: “Well you can stop wondering. I'm not ..."

Other weak phrases and words to avoid include:

Sort of , Kind of, This probably is the answer...or worse yet, This prolly is the answer, It should help, I can’t do that, Won’t, Don’t, I think this should help...

These words and phrases fail to engender confidence between you and the customer. As sales experts, advisors, advocates for your customers, you should never find yourself saying can't, won't or don't to a customer.Instead, you're not able to do something is the better way of saying things.

Also, stay away from phrases like, to be perfectly honest, or to tell you the truth. What? You mean you haven’t been perfectly honest with me or told me the truth until now! See how that sounds.

Additionally, you know, pretty much, and what not are over used phrases that serve only to weaken your language and the perception the customer may have of you ever being a competent and capable insurance agent. These phrases are momentum killers in the sales conversation. Just drop them from your language altogether.

Use positive mental words such as: You, We, Us, Together, Work Through, Thanks, Great, Wonderful, Terrific, I’m glad, Happy, Satisfied, Enjoy, Productive, Answer, Idea, Improve, Fix, Help, Relieve, Discuss, Value, Smart, Determine, Choice, Variety, Brilliant, Excellent, Powerful. Words like these have energy and conjure positive images in the mind of the listener.

And please, don’t be guilty of these common violations of the English language:

Wrong way of saying it: Irregardless
Right way of saying it: Regardless

Wrong way of saying it: Mute Point
Right way of saying it: Moot Point...

Finally, there's Ba bye...How about using Goodbye or Thank you, have a nice day. Saying, Ba bye, sounds like the verbal equivalent to Okey Dokey...How professional does that sound?

I know I'll lighten up!

Invite Yourself to the Party! Check Me Out at LinkedIn.com.

Invite Yourself to the Party! Check Me Out at LinkedIn.com.
Just click the icon, create a public profile & join my network of professional contacts. It's free.