Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Sell the Experience Pt IV (Final)

About 15 years ago, I relocated to another area of the state for business reasons. As a result, I had the dubious task of having to find a new family doctor. And as many of you know, doctors and I don't mix well. I figure they tolerate me as a non-compliant patient and I tolerate them as pious know it alls. Terrible attitude, I know. I'm working on it…really!

Anyway, I went to this family doctor after finally getting sick one day. After the appointment, I saw my wife. Fearing the worst had happened, she asked how it went with a subtle wince. I told her, "Great!" "In fact, it went better than great. This doctor is absolutely the best doctor I have ever had. I'm going to recommend her to all my friends. That's how good she is. For once in my life, I think I've found a good doctor I can trust and stay with."

In shocked amazement she smiled and asked, "How do you know she's any good? Did you see where she graduated from? Did she tell you her grades in school? Did you ask her where she did her residency? What was it that made you think she was great and a keeper as a family doctor?" I thought for a second and simply said," Because I liked her."

"She was pleasant. She listened. Her staff was great. They smiled. I waited a long time, but when they called my name, they apologized for the wait and told me that the doctor had an emergency case come in. That's why it took so long. They didn't want me to think that they didn't appreciate my waiting; that I was important to them." Hear what I'm saying…the entire office experience...from the pleasant environment of the office itself, to my contact with the staff and doctor…their genuinely nice manner and concern for me...made me feel good even though I waited an extraordinary amount of time in the waiting room. Do you think we can learn something from this experience? You bet we can! Don't think for one second that my "favorite" new doctor and her staff aren't in sales…They are; and doing a good job of it!

Now, I'm not claiming that the entire experience was fun, problem free, and some life changing experience for me. It wasn't like that. I'm also not claiming that substance doesn't matter, because it does. I am simply pointing out the fact that when coupled with positive emotional experiences in the business environment, sales professionals can take their profession AND results to the next level. It's a nuance of the experts…that extra honing of the business craft and the art of sales that we can begin to take advantage of…it's that little extra which makes the difference between good and great.

Choices are emotional. Buying is a choice. It can generate negative feelings or positive feelings. How is it with you? How do you make your customers feel?

Are you giving them what they want...attention, empathy, consideration, reliability, honesty, helpful and pleasant service, convenience, follow-up, kept promises, genuine appreciation? In order to do that, it starts with a belief in who we are and what we offer. Remember, we're "cool" and people need us…they truly need us. It doesn't get any better than that.

By the way, the rest of my story is that United Healthcare decided to pull out of the area last year. Consequently, my "favorite" new doctor was no longer a subscriber under my health insurance plan. I refused to go to a different doctor. Instead, I paid out of pocket for an entire year before a new contract with United Healthcare was negotiated with the local hospital and subscribing physicians. But then, I was willing to do that because...I liked her…I liked her staff, and the entire office environment. They made me feel special.

Copyright © 2010 - Tony Cefalu

Invite Yourself to the Party! Check Me Out at LinkedIn.com.

Invite Yourself to the Party! Check Me Out at LinkedIn.com.
Just click the icon, create a public profile & join my network of professional contacts. It's free.