Monday, May 9, 2011

The Real Reason Businesses Exist Pt.II

“The sole purpose of business existence is to create a customer.” Peter Drucker

If I focus on profit as an agency-owner, then my behaviors will be in response to price points, expenses, margins, numbers, units produced and the number of sales made to name a few.
But, if I focus my attention as an agency-owner on people instead, in creating customers and converting them into loyal patrons; my behaviors will be in response to their needs and concerns.

If I am dominated by the thought of profit, then my behaviors and subsequent business practices will naturally be in response, first, to “How can I increase my margin,” and not on, “How can I better serve the customer to provide them with greater value than the competition offers?”

As a proponent of “creating customers” rather than making a profit,” I shape my business activities around things that the customer wants and rarely gets from the “other guy.” For me, the buying experience and customer feelings and emotions are inextricably tied to the buying impulse and the value people seek as shoppers.

If I create my marketing & sales processes on the principle that business exists to create a customer and not to make a profit, I inevitably will make a “profit.”

Copyright © 2011 - Tony Cefalu

Invite Yourself to the Party! Check Me Out at LinkedIn.com.

Invite Yourself to the Party! Check Me Out at LinkedIn.com.
Just click the icon, create a public profile & join my network of professional contacts. It's free.